Partner of a New Zealander Work Visa

This visa will allow you to join your partner in New Zealand. You’ll be able to get a job, and in your free time, enjoy New Zealand’s scenery, adventure, culture and friendly people.


These are the conditions that you must meet once you have your visa.

Entry permission

You must apply for entry permission when you arrive in New Zealand. You can do this by completing an arrival card, which you are given on the way to New Zealand.

You can be refused entry permission if:

  • you don’t meet our character requirements

  • your circumstances have changed since you were granted a visa

  • you refuse to let us take your photo, or provide us with your fingerprints or an iris scan if we ask you for them.


After you arrive, you can travel in and out of New Zealand as many times as you like before your visa expires.


You can work in any employment you like, as long as:

  • the work you do is legal

  • you do not provide commercial sexual services

  • you do not invest or operate in a business that provides commercial sexual services

  • you have any occupational registration that is needed to do that work in New Zealand.


You can study for up to 3 months.

Visa expiry

You must leave New Zealand before your visa expires.

If you want to stay longer, you can apply for residence as the partner of a New Zealand citizen or resident.

Type of partnership visa

These are the most common partnership-based visas.

  • Partner of a Worker visitor visa

  • Partner of a Worker work visa

  • Partner of a Student visitor visa

  • Partner of a Student work visa

  • Partner of a New Zealander visitor visa

  • Partner of a New Zealander work visa

  • Partner of a New Zealander resident visa

3 views0 comments